Tomorrow, Thursday 11 May 2017 at 4pm is the deadline for candidates wishing to stand in the 2017 General Election to deliver nomination papers to the relevant Returning Officer. It is also the deadline for candidates to withdraw.
Candidates must be 18 years old or over and either:
- British citizen
- A citizen of the Republic of Ireland
- A citizen of a commonwealth country who does not require leave to enter or remain in the UK, or has indefinite leave to remain in the UK.
The following groups are barred from standing:
- Members of the police forces
- Members of the armed forces
- Civil servants, judges and peers who sit and can vote in the House of Lords
- People who are subject to a bankruptcy restrictions order or a debt relief restrictions order in England, Wales or Northern Ireland
- People who have been adjudged bankrupt in Northern Ireland
- People who have had their estate confiscated (sequestrated) in Scotland
All candidates need to appoint an election agent and provide a deposit of £500 with their nomination papers.